Wednesday, January 2, 2013

mexicali pizza.

I like to think that I am am someone you would want to invite to a party.  I always make sure I RSVP on time and I am always up for party games and to show off my awesomely awkward dance moves.  I'm superb at making a well-edited play list and I always ask what I can bring and even if you tell me you don't need me to bring anything, I guarantee I will still bring you something because I hate to show up empty-handed.  I have an innate fear of showing up somewhere without some kind of offering to the host, it just seems so inconsiderate of me.  So you can guarantee if you invite me to your next soiree that I will probably show up with a box of freshly baked chocolate chip cookies or perhaps homemade parmesan crackers or if I really like you this Mexicali Pizza.  This Mexicali pizza is the perfect party food - it's handheld, it provides sustenance to those on are engaging in liquid libations, and its filled with everyone's favorite foods.  It's as if an empanada and a pizza had a baby which if you ask me sounds like a rather tasty baby.  

Mexicali Pizza
Recipie adapted from Mom

I jazzed this up a bit and also streamlined the steps a little.  The additional spices and diced olives give an extra punch of flavor to the filling which is always a good thing.  This can also be made with pizza dough from the store or you can make your own!  My dough recipe is below.  

Dough

2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
1/2 cup cornmeal
1 package (2 1/4 teaspoons) active dry yeast
3/4 teaspoons salt
2 tablespoons olive oil
3/4 to 1 cup warm water (110 - 115 degrees)

Filling

1 pound lean ground beef
1 clove garlic minced
1 (8 3/4 ounce can) kidney beans, drained
8 -9 ounces fire roasted crushed tomatoes (if you can't find fire roasted you can use regular)
1 tablespoon chilli powder
1 teaspoon paprika
1/4 teaspoon cayenne 
1 (4 ounce) jar pimentos, drained and diced
2 tablespoons diced jalapenos
1/4 cup pimento stuffed olives, chopped
1/2 cup grated cheddar cheese
1/2 cup grated Monterey Jack cheese

To make the dough: Insert metal blade in the food processor bowl.  Add flour, cornmeal, undissolved yeast, and salt.  Process 5 - 10 seconds to combine.  Add oil.  Begin processing and then slowly pour water through feed tube just until ball forms, about 10 to 15 seconds (all the water may not be needed).  Continue processing 60 seconds to knead the dough.  Carefully remove dough and blade from the processor bowl.  Shape dough into a ball.  Cover and let rest undisturbed in a warm draft free space for about 1 1/2 - 2 hours until the dough has doubled in size.  

To make filling: In a large skillet cook ground beef and garlic over medium-high heat for about 5 minutes or until browned, stirring to crumble.  Drain.  Add kidney beas, tomato sauce, chilli powder, paprika, and cayenne.  Stir well and cook for about 3-5 minutes, stirring occassionally.  Add the pimentos, jalapenos, and olives, and continue to cook for about 2-3 minutes until all the liquid is absorbed.  Set aside to cool. 

To assemble: Preheat oven to 425 degrees.  Roll dough to a 15 inch circle. Place in greased 14-inch pizza pan.  Form a standing rim of dough around the edge of the pan.  Cut a 7 inch "X" in center of the dough.  Cut another "X" to form 8 wedges in center.  Spread a 3 inch wide border of meat mixture evenly around the edge of the dough.  Sprinkle with cheese.  Pull cut points of dough over filling; tuck under rim of dough, and press to seal.  Bake on lowest oven rack for 15-20 minutes or until golden brown and the cheese is melted.  Serve with hot sauce! 

No comments:

Post a Comment