Wednesday, September 5, 2012

leek and corn pizza.


I have been neglecting the leeks at the farmers market.  I didn’t even realize that I had until last week when I spied them nestled between the chard and kale and I couldn’t remember the last time I cooked with them.  It was such a shame that I had forgotten about them considering how much I love them paired with corn (as seen here), that I figured I needed to resurrect the situation.  If I hadn’t had a long weekend ahead of me I would have probably sautéed them and thrown it on some pasta (which would have been lovely), but since I had what felt like all the time in the world, a pizza seemed appropriate.  I sautéed the leeks until they got nice and tender and a touch brown and then added in the corn and some red pepper flakes for some heat to balance out the sweetness of the vegetables.  I decided on a white pizza in order to let the flavors of the leek and corn shine. The creamy ricotta and salty mozzarella were the perfect companion – each bite was both salty and sweet.  We washed it down with watermelon beer and then finished the night with slices of s’mores pie.  End of summer dinning at its best. 

Leek and Corn Pizza

This will make more leek and corn mixture then you will need for the pizza.  I used the remainder the next day atop some gnocchi for a wonderful pasta lunch.  It would also be lovely in a grilled cheese or atop crostini. 

3 leeks, white and light green parts only, cut into rounds and then the rounds halved
2 ears of corn, shucked
1 tablespoon butter
1 tablespoon olive oil
½ - 1 teaspoon red pepper flakes
2 tablespoons heavy cream
Salt and pepper to taste (lots of pepper!)
½ pound mozzarella shredded
1 cup ricotta
½ recipe of my favorite pizza dough (or make the full recipe and freeze halve the dough! Or you can double the corn and leek and make 4 pizzas.)

Preheat your oven to 500 degrees (or the highest it can go) and if you have a pizza stone place it inside the oven (if not just preheat).  Heat a large sauté pan over medium heat, once hot add the butter and oil and when the butter and oil is melted and beginning to sizzle, add the leeks, and turn the heat down to medium-low.  Cook the leeks for about 10 minutes, stirring on occasion, until the leeks are soft and just beginning to brown.  Once the leeks are soft, add the corn to the pan as well as the red pepper flakes, cream, and salt and pepper.  Taste, and adjust seasonings if necessary.  Continue to cook for another 2 minutes and then set aside.

On a floured surface, stretch the dough out to about 10 – 12 inches (I was able to stretch to about 12 inches). Don’t worry if its not perfectly round!  Place the dough on your pizza stone or on a baking sheet if you don’t have a stone.  Top the pizza with half the mozzarella, then use half the ricotta to place dollops on the pizza.  On top of the cheese, scatter the leek and corn mixture.  Bake in the oven for about 10 minutes until the cheese is melted and the crust is browned.  Repeat with the other piece of dough. 

No comments:

Post a Comment