Saturday, September 15, 2012

cod en persillade (cod with breadcrumbs).


I had one of those weeks this week where I wondered at times if I would ever make it to Friday.  By the time I came home each evening I was so stressed and tired that all I wanted to do was lie down and try and turn my brain off.  Needless to say, I spent far less time in the kitchen then I would have liked (especially considering I’ve seen the arrival of apples – oh the meals I have planned for apples!).  I managed to make a few things one of them being this unbelievable cod fish with breadcrumbs.  This recipe comes from the Ad Hoc cookbook by Mr. Thomas Keller.  Considering Thomas Keller is known for his elaborate meals, this book is a surprising departure from that.  The recipes in this book focus on technique and elevating simple dishes to a new level and I love looking to it because I know that whatever I make it will be simple yet perfect.  This fish dish is a cinch to make and the crunchy bread crumbs give a wonderful texture to the flaky fish.  The swipe of mustard gives the perfect bite to the dish.  I served mine with some green beans and tomatoes for an easy and elegant week night meal that looked a lot more labor intensive then it was!

Cod en Persillade
Recipe from Ad Hoc at Home by Thomas Keller

Serves 3

About 1 pound skinless cod (top loin preferable)
1/3 cup homemade breadcrumbs (you can see my recipe here)
1 teaspoon finely chopped flat leaf parsley
2 teaspoons Dijon mustard
Kosher salt
Canola Oil
Fleur de Sel

Remove the cod from the refrigerator and let sit at room temperature for 15 minutes.  Preheat the oven to 325 degrees.

Check the cod to make sure all of the bones were removed  Cut crosswise into 3 or 4 pieces.  Place the breadcrumbs in a shallow bowl.  Put the mustard in a small bowl and fill a second small bowl with water.

Season the cod fillets on both sides with salt.  Dip a brush into the water and then into the mustard (this will help to thin the mustard out).  Brush the top of each fillet with a light coating of water and then dip the mustard side of the fish into the breadcrumbs to make an even coating.  Repeat with the remaining pieces of fish.

Pour some canola oil into an oven proof frying pan that will hold the pieces of cod without them touching and heat over medium high heat until the oil just begins to smoke.  Lower the heat to medium and place the fish crumb side down into the pan and cook until the crust is golden brown about 1 minute.  Transfer the pan to the oven and cook until the fish just begins to flake when prodded with a fork, about 8 – 9 minutes.  Sprinkle the fish with fleur de sel and parsley.  

No comments:

Post a Comment