Monday, April 22, 2013

spinach and chickpeas.

























You may be looking at this recipe and thinking about passing on it.  I know you are because I did the same thing several times, dismissing it because it didn't seem special enough to me (I mean it's spinach and chickpeas I know no one holds those two things in the highest regard).  But after looking at it one too many times and finally having all the ingredients on hand, I decided to give it a go and I kid you not when I say it was one of the best decisions I've ever made.  This is one of the most addicting things I've ever made.  The flavors are incredible - spicy, tangy, and smoky (pretty much my three favorite flavors).  It's easy and satisfying and super filling (but not in a way that makes you feel like you need to take a nap after dinner).  It's kind of perfect and it gets better after a night in the fridge when you allow the flavors to meld making the leftovers the most perfect lunch.   

Spinach and Chickpeas (or for the fancy name Espinacas con Garbanzos)
Recipe adapted from Smitten Kitchen

1/2 pound (230 grams) dried chickpeas, cooked until soft and tender or two 15-ounce cans of chickpeas, drained and rinsed
4 tablespoon olive oil
1 pound (450 grams) spinach, washed
A hefty 1-inch slice from a country loaf, crusts removed and cut inset small cubes
½ cup – ¾ cup tomato sauce
3 garlic cloves, thinly sliced
½ teaspoon ground cumin
Pinch of red pepper flakes
1 ½ tablespoons red wine vinegar
½ teaspoon smoked paprika, plus more for sprinkling
Salt and freshly ground black pepper


To serve: fried bread toasts or a fried egg (I love it with a fried egg, makes it a meal!)

Place a large saucepan over medium heat and add half the olive oil. When it is hot, add the spinach with a pinch of salt (in batches, if necessary) and stir well. Remove when the leaves are just tender, drain in a colander and set aside.

Heat the remaining olive oil in the same saucepan over medium heat. Fry the bread for about 5 minutes or until golden brown all over, then the remaining tablespoon of oil and the garlic, cumin and pepper. Cook for 1 minute more or until the garlic is nutty brown.

Add to the pan the vinegar, smoked paprika, drained chickpeas, spinach and tomato sauce. Stir until the chickpeas have absorbed the flavors and are hot. Season with salt and pepper.

No comments:

Post a Comment