Tuesday, December 18, 2012

passion fruit truffles + coconut truffles.


Very few things make me happier and improve my mood faster then my own box of truffles.  I will be the first to admit that the quickest way to my heart is through my stomach and I am always happiest when consuming chocolate.  Truffles are fancy and indulgent and when you open a box, it looks as if you are opening a box of jewels, which as a girl who loves any and all sparkly objects, makes me very excited.  The problem with truffles is that because they are considered a fancy food, they end up being reserved for special occasions, which is a real shame if you ask me.  I want to bring the fancy to the everyday – I want to eat truffles in sweatpants and I could only validate doing that if I made my own which I finally did this past weekend.  I don’t know why I waited so long to do so but I am glad I finally did because these really are incredible and easy and so fancy especially if you roll them in sparkly pink sanding sugar.  The addition of passion fruit pulp to the ganache gives the perfect amount of fruity tartness (and in my mind there is no better pairing then passion fruit and chocolate) .  I plan to consume many of these while watching Christmas shows in sweatpants over the course of the next week. 

Passion Fruit Truffles
Recipe adapted from the Purple Foodie

Makes about 18 truffles

Let’s talk about chocolate.  The first time I made these I used only dark chocolate and I found them to be far too tart (even with the addition of some sugar).  I decided milk chocolate alone would be too sweet so I did so playing around and found that 100 grams of milk chocolate and 100 grams of 70-75% cocoa content works amazingly well.  Obviously the sanding sugar is optional but I have the say the pink and gold is pretty amazing (cocoa powder would also work incredibly well).  Also!  Passion fruit pulp and all fruit pulps can be found at Spanish supermarkets.  I found some by Goya.

Now – I have also used this recipe as a jumping off point for other truffle varieties namely coconut truffles rolled in toasted hazelnuts.  Recipes for both versions below.

200 grams chocolate (100 grams milk and 100 grams 70-75% dark), finely chopped
80 grams passion fruit pulp
10 grams cream
10 grams honey
15 grams butter, diced
Cocoa powder or sanding sugar for coating

Add the chocolate to a steel or plastic mixing bowl and set aside.

In a saucepan, add the passion fruit pulp, cream, and honey, and bring it to a gentle simmer.  Pour this over the chocolate and stir until it all comes together.  There should be no pieces of chocolate and the ganache should look thick and shinny. Add the butter while still warm, and stir it until it has melted into the ganche, making it even shinier. 

Refrigerate the ganache for 20 – 30 minutes.  Line a tray with foil and set aside.  On a plate pour some sanding sugar or cocoa powder and set aside.  After the ganache has set, remove the bowl from the fridge.  Take about 2 teaspoons of ganache and roll it in your hand to form a ball, then roll the ball in the sugar or cocoa powder. Make sure you coat all sides!  Place the truffles on the foil lined sheet.  Repeat with the remaining ganache.  When all truffles are rolled place the tray in the fridge for 10 minutes and then eat!  You can store the truffles in a sealed container in the fridge for a week. 

Coconut Truffles

200 grams chocolate (100 grams milk and 100 grams 70-75% dark), finely chopped
80 grams coconut pulp
10 grams cream
10 grams honey
15 grams butter, diced
About 1 cup finely chopped toasted hazelnuts for coating (toast the hazelnuts and then chop in a food processor)

Add the chocolate to a steel or plastic mixing bowl and set aside.

In a saucepan, add the coconut pulp, cream, and honey, and bring it to a gentle simmer.  Pour this over the chocolate and stir until it all comes together.  There should be no pieces of chocolate and the ganache should look thick and shinny. Add the butter while still warm, and stir it until it has melted into the ganche, making it even shinier. 

Refrigerate the ganache for 20 – 30 minutes.  Line a tray with foil and set aside.  On a plate pour the toasted hazlenuts.  After the ganache has set, remove the bowl from the fridge.  Take about 2 teaspoons of ganache and roll it in your hand to form a ball, then roll the ball in the hazelnut pieces.  Make sure you coat all sides!  Place the truffles on the foil-lined sheet.  Repeat with the remaining ganache.  When all truffles are rolled place the tray in the fridge for 10 minutes and then eat!  You can store the truffles in a sealed container in the fridge for a week. 

No comments:

Post a Comment