Tuesday, August 6, 2013

kombucha addiction.

After reading Michael Pollan's latest book called Cooked, I realized probiotic consumption was missing from my life which is why my drink of choice as of late has been kombucha.  Kombucha in a nutshell is fermented tea that is filled with probiotics.  I realize when I describe it to people that most find the sound of it to be completely unappealing but I can't get enough of it.  It's tart and tangy like green apple carbonated soda. The flavor is utterly addicting and it's healthy! 

Probiotics are the good bacteria that helps your tummy function well.  Most of us don't get enough probiotics since we are no longer a culture of fermented and un-pasteurized foods and while I don't believe this cures everything, it's been helping me with my never ending stress tummy aches.  I've been trying all sorts of different brands - local versions made in Brooklyn, bottled versions from Whole Foods, and most recently Health Ade which is company based out of California.  All of the versions have been superb (so bubbly and tart!) but now I plan on making my own, because well I love to try my hand at making homemade versions of everything.  I will be reporting back in a few weeks (and if you aren't crazy like me you can buy some at Whole Foods.) 

No comments:

Post a Comment