Saturday, March 9, 2013

mallorcas.

























I don't think that much about breakfast mostly because 5 of the 7 days of the week I eat oatmeal.  It's not that I don't want to deviate from the norm (trust me I love variety), it's more that eating something other then oatmeal requires far too much time and planning.  I find my time better spent doing things like agonizing over the perfect pair of boyfriend jeans (seriously, I have spent way too much brain power thinking about an item of clothing I can wear at most once a week).  For this reason I save my variety breakfasts for the weekend when I can enjoy my morning meal in a more leisurely fashion.  Usually a relaxed Sunday morning breakfast involves me making us pancakes or omelets (and the boy making me a large latte) but on occasion I feel like splurging and testing one of the many breakfast recipes I have bookmarked for the fancy brunches I always imagine myself hosting.  Recently I came across a recipe for a Puerto Rican specialty that intrigued me in a way that only guava and cheese empanadas typically do (guava and cheese empanadas make my knees week).  The recipe was for Mallorcas which is an eggy bun that seemed to me to be a cross between challah and a hot cross bun.  I imagined myself dipping the sweet, eggy, buttery bread in my coffee and devouring it so that all remained was a mess of confectioners sugar all over my plate.  That is exactly what I did after patiently waiting for the bread to rise and bake.  The wait was worth it.  

Mallorcas
Recipe via the NYTimes

Makes 12 Buns (but this recipe halves beautifully)

I read that they also make ham and cheese sandwiches on this bread and while I enjoyed that I have to say I preferred the simplicity of eating it plain with a heavy dusting of confectioners sugar.  

1/4 ounce dry yeast (1 package)
3/4 cup granulated sugar
1 cup lukewarm milk (110 to 115 degrees)
5 cups all-purpose flour, plus additional as needed
6 large egg yolks
4 ounces (1 stick) butter, melted, plus additional melted butter for brushing
Confectioners’ sugar, for dusting

In a large mixing bowl, combine yeast, granulated sugar, milk and 1 cup lukewarm water. Mix well, sprinkle with 1 cup flour, and mix again until smooth. Cover and set aside in a warm place until batter is risen and foamy, about 45 minutes.

By hand, or using a mixer, mix egg yolks into batter one by one until well blended. Gradually add remaining 4 cups flour. Add 4 ounces melted butter and mix until batter is very smooth. Cover and set aside in a warm place until dough has doubled in size, about 1 hour.

Brush two baking sheets with melted butter. Heat oven to 375 degrees. Dust a work surface with flour, and divide dough into 12 portions. Shape each portion into a rope about 12 inches long, and brush lightly with melted butter. Coil gently but tightly to make a slightly rounded bun shape, tucking the inside end of the rope into the center of the bun, and the outside end under the bun. Place buns on baking sheets about 3 inches apart. Brush tops with butter, cover lightly, and set aside in a warm place until doubled in size, about 30 minutes.

Uncover buns and bake until light golden brown, 10 to 15 minutes. Transfer to a cooling rack and dust generously with confectioners’ sugar. Serve warm or at room temperature.

No comments:

Post a Comment