Wednesday, September 30, 2015

thoughts on seattle, wa (and the best things we ate).



I didn't expect it to happen, but I fell in love with Seattle.  It' hard for me to articulate why, but the city just pulled me in.  It's urban and yet it has the feel of a small town.  Seattle is big, it felt far bigger then New York, but it's divided into pockets and each pocket has it's own identity.  You could criss-cross the entire city and feel as if you've traveled a great distance and yet you only traveled a couple of miles.  And the restaurant scene!  Oh man.  It's freaking phenomenal.  I swear I am ready to move there.  So ready in fact that at one point, I was on Zillow and Indeed looking at apartments and jobs trying to envision what my life would look like if I left the East Coast for the West Coast.  

Tyler and I have already discussed heading back out there next year and visiting Seattle and Vancouver.  Practically everyone I met said if you like food you have to visit Vancouver so you know I am sold on it.  But we aren't here to discuss future meals.  We are here to discuss the best things I ate in Seattle.  Without further ado...


The Walrus and The Carpenter was one of those restaurants that I was petrified I wasn't going to have the opportunity to try.  It doesn't take reservations, it's the size of a shoebox, etc.  But the afternoon before we headed home, Tyler and I stopped by for an early bird dinner.  I think it worked out for the best because early birds get the happy hour special of half off oysters.  What I realized is that I still don't love oysters. To be honest, I don't really get the point of them but I do love clams and I really LOVE sardines with a parsley and walnut gremolata.  I will be dreaming about both those dishes until the end of time.   

The best dessert on this trip goes to the chocolate, banana, peanut cake from Honore Artisan Bakery. When I tell you it was dreamy and probably one of the best desserts I've ever eaten, I'm not lying. Chocolate fudge surrounded a roasted banana and caramelized peanut center.  My description will never do it justice, just go and buy it.   

Pizzeria Gabbiano is open only on weekdays and sells a Roman style pizza by weight.  The beauty of this is that you can get a little bit of everything and have your own little pizza tasting.  I was particularly fond of the peppers and corn bechamel pizza but you really can't go wrong with any of them.  A perfect spot to hit after walking through the Chihuly Museum.   

If you are in search of drinks, try Damm the Weather.  The food is supposed to be killer as well but we had sushi reservations that night and I wasn't going to spoil my appetite.   

The sushi at Mashiko is hands down the best sushi I have ever had.  Anyone can fly in fancy fish from Tokyo but it takes a really special restaurant to go the sustainable route and make sushi that is exciting, delicious, and down-right addicting.  I ate a lot of fish I had never had before and I got to witness a truly passionate sushi chef in her element, both of those things made this a truly incredible meal.  Also! They take reservations and if you make one, be smart and sit at the sushi counter.   

The Whale Wins, a sister restaurant to the Walrus and the Carpenter served the kind of food I can never get enough of i.e. small plates of vegetables prepared in remarkably exciting ways.  Everything we ate I would happily eat again. Especially the dragon's tongue beans with feta and red pepper and the grilled zucchini bread with creme fraiche (which I may have already made my own version of).  Every city should have at least 3 restaurants like this.       

And last but not least, Cafe Besalu whose croissants and cheese danishes are some of the best I have ever had.  We were fortunate to be staying about 2 blocks away which means I ate a cheese danish everyday for 3 days straight and I'm not sorry I did that. There seasonal fruit danishes are equally exciting.  If your smart, you'll get a little bit of everything and share with someone you love.  

No comments:

Post a Comment