Thursday, September 17, 2015

chocolate chunk pumpkin seed cookies.

Tyler and I got back from the Pacific Northwest 2 days ago.  While there I was the most relaxed and happy I've been in a long time.  I took myself off the grid as much as possible. Checking e-mail once every couple of days and Facebook hardly ever (Sunday required the internet as it is the start of Fantasy Football!).  It's was nice to be present.  To not think much about what I wear (I kind of like the ease of having only a finite amount of clothing to pick from), to walk miles a day, to try new food.

I needed the two-week hiatus from this place.  To try and figure out how I want it to look going forward, to understand what I want from it.  I still haven't totally figured it out but I am eager to talk about food again.  Soon we will discuss all of the glorious things I consumed in the Pacific Northwest (doughnuts! fish! pizza!) but now we are here to discuss a cookie recipe that I've wanted to talk about for so long. 

This is a cookie for September.  For back to school (or in my case work). They are chocolaty and satisfying especially at the 3PM slump when all you want is to forget the fact that you are knee deep in work.  I like them because they are chock-full of nuts and and more chocolate which tricks you into thinking they are a granola bar (they are not).  Did I mention they freeze brilliantly?  They do which means you can stockpile them in the freezer for when you really need a pick-me-up.  

Chocolate Chunk–Pumpkin Seed Cookies
Recipe adapted from Bon Appeit

Makes about 36 cookies

Some notes! For the ideal chewy brownie-ish texture, take care not to overbake.  I added in some cocoa nibs because I've had some languishing in our cabinets.  I think it's a genius addition.  Also, I made the cookies far smaller then the original recipe specified because a 3PM treat should not be the size of a small dinner plate (as much as I wish it could be).   

1½ cups raw pumpkin seeds (pepitas)
2½ cups all-purpose flour
½ cup unsweetened cocoa powder
2 teaspoons kosher salt
½ teaspoon baking soda
½ teaspoon ground cinnamon
¼ teaspoon hot smoked Spanish paprika
1½ cups (packed) light brown sugar
1⅓ cups granulated sugar
1 cup plus 2 tablespoons unsalted butter, room temperature
2 large eggs
1¼ cups bittersweet chocolate chunks or chips
1/2 cup cocoa nibs (optional)
Flaky sea salt

Place racks in upper and lower thirds of oven; preheat to 350°. Toast pumpkin seeds on a large rimmed baking sheet on upper rack, tossing occasionally, until golden brown, 8–10 minutes. Let cool.


Meanwhile, whisk flour, cocoa powder, kosher salt, baking soda, cinnamon, and paprika in a large bowl. Using an electric mixer on medium-high speed, beat brown sugar, granulated sugar, and butter in a large bowl until pale and fluffy, about 4 minutes. Add eggs one at a time, beating to blend after each addition. Reduce speed to low; add dry ingredients in 3 additions, mixing until well blended after each. Fold in chocolate and pumpkin seeds.


Portion dough into 36 balls (about 2 tablespoons each) and divide between parchment-lined baking sheets, spacing 2" apart. Sprinkle with sea salt and bake cookies, rotating pans halfway through, until edges are slightly browned and firm but centers are still soft, 9–10 minutes. Transfer to wire racks; let cool.



























No comments:

Post a Comment