Monday, January 6, 2014

coconut banana bread.

























It's been nearly five days and this flu/fever/chest congestion thing I've got going on continues to rear it's ugly head.  The worst part about it is that I have no appetite.  Yes, I don't want to eat which if you know me you know that this is a big deal since I always want to eat (I mean I do write a food blog).  Looking at certain foods makes me physically nauseous which is how I've found myself living on a diet of toast, brothy soups, and simple breads like this (because my desire to cook hasn't gone anywhere).

This is the kind of bread both kids and adults can appreciate. It's flavorful (coconut oil and spices) and moist (coconut milk and smashed bananas) and reminiscent of tropical locations and summer days (only 165 days to summer!).  It's also healthy (OK healthy-ish) and the kind of snacky thing I crave everyday around 3:30 PM with a cup of hot tea.  I imagine if you make this it will disappear from your kitchen as fast as it disappeared from mine.  

Coconut Banana Bread
Recipe adapted from Smitten Kitchen

I made a lot of changes because I'm that person.  Upped the healthy aspect by swapping in some whole wheat flour, added some smashed bananas because we had them on hand and bananas and coconut just always work together, and used coconut oil instead of butter because the more coconut flavor I can add the happier I am.  

Makes 1 loaf

2 large eggs
1 1/4 cups coconut milk (or if you don’t happen to have that exact amount of coconut milk in the fridge like I did 1 cup of coconut milk and ¼ cup of skim works splendidly)
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
1 cup whole wheat flour 
2 teaspoons baking powder
2 teaspoons cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
1 cup sugar
2 bananas mashed
6 tablespoons (85 grams) coconut oil, melted (butter can also be used)
Vegetable oil or nonstick cooking spray

Heat oven to 350 degrees. In a small bowl, whisk together eggs, milk and vanilla.

In a medium bowl, sift together all-purpose flour, whole wheat flour, baking powder, cinnamon, and ginger. Add sugar and smashed bananas, and stir to mix. Make a well in the center, and pour in egg mixture. Gradually mix with dry ingredients, until just combined. Add melted coconut oil, and stir until smooth. Do not overmix.

Oil and flour an 9 x 5-inch loaf pan. Pour batter into pan. Bake until a toothpick inserted into center comes out clean, 1 to 1 1/4 hours. Cool in pan 5 minutes, remove bread from pan, and finish cooling on a rack. 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment