Wednesday, November 20, 2013

buttermilk cornbread.



























Yesterday, I had an epiphany’s about stuffing.  Yes stuffing, also known as dressing also known as the most important side dish on a Thanksgiving table.  Deb, over at Smitten Kitchen, is posting all sorts of Thanksgiving recipes this week, one of which is Apple Herb Stuffing for all seasons.  It wasn't the recipe that provoked the light bulb moment; rather it was the picture of the stuffing with a poached egg on top

This picture has turned me into a crazy woman.  I have done nothing but think non-stop about making cornbread in order to recreate the apple-sausage stuffing of my dreams, solely so I can eat it for breakfast with a poached egg on top (or for dinner or lunch I’m not going to be picky here).  I’m envisioning the intermingling of flavors to be reminiscent of an egg sandwich, just deconstructed so I can better shovel it in my mouth as fast as possible. 

The one plus side to this whole stuffing obsession is that I already have the perfect cornbread recipe.  I've had it bookmarked for about a year now and rather stupidly it has taken me until now to make it (despite the fact that there have been other instances of cornbread being made this year).  This is a most dreamy version and the most perfect one I have ever made.  Dense with an intense corn flavor.  It's positively rich with an awesome tang from the buttermilk and sour cream.  Those flavors marry well with the honey (and yes there is sugar which some would say is sacrilegious but I am not a Southerner so I am OK with some sugar).  I love it with chili and turkey and soon I will love it in stuffing.  God, I can't wait for the cornbread stuffing.  With an egg.  

Buttermilk Cornbread
Recipe adapted from Tasting Table 

3 large eggs
1/2 cup granulated sugar
1 cup buttermilk
1 cup sour cream
1/3 cup honey
1 1/2 cups all purpose flour 
1 1/2 cups yellow cornmeal
1 tablespoon baking powder
3/4 teaspoon baking soda
1 1/2 teaspoons kosher salt
Pinch of cayenne pepper
8 tablespoons butter, divided

Set a 12-inch cast-iron skillet in the oven and preheat the oven to 375°. In a large bowl, whisk together the eggs and sugar until frothy, 1 to 2 minutes. Whisk in the buttermilk, sour cream and honey.

In another medium bowl, whisk together the flour, cornmeal, baking powder, baking soda, salt and cayenne. Use a wooden spoon to stir the flour-cornmeal mixture into the sour cream-buttermilk mixture. Stir in 6 tablespoons of melted butter and mix until well combined.

Remove the hot cast-iron skillet from the oven and add the remaining 2 tablespoons of butter, swirling the pan to evenly disperse the butter. Pour in the batter, using the back of the spoon to spread it into an even layer. Bake until a toothpick inserted into the center of the cornbread comes out clean, about 25 minutes. Remove from the oven and cool slightly before slicing and serving.

No comments:

Post a Comment