Monday, January 21, 2013

blood orange and pistachio salad.


I've been on a citrus kick as of of late.  I've found myself devouring boxes of clementines and including a squeeze of lemon or lime in every drink I have. Citrus in the cold winter months is just necessary - it reminds you of warm places which is why in the depths of winter (and weeks where the high is about 20 degrees), I find it necessary to include some in every meal I have.  My current favorite iteration is a blood orange salad with pistachios.  It’s tart and sweet and crunchy.  The dressing is tangy and light (I prefer a much higher ratio of vinegar to oil in my dressings.  It gives the dressing a wonderful bite).  The whole thing is utterly refreshing but so wintery at the same time.  My favorite thing to serve it with is half a grilled cheese sandwich because everyone needs a little something creamy and cheesy to eat with a tart and virtuous salad (and grilled cheese is just the perfect winter food).  


Blood Orange and Pistachio Salad
Serves 2

This would also be wonderful with the addition of some diced avocado.  

3 cups mixed greens
1 blood orange, pith removed and diced
1/4 cup pistachios, shells removed
1 tablespoon Parmesan or Pecorino cheese (or a handful of shaved cheese) 
Salt and pepper to taste

For the dressing

3 tablespoons sherry vinegar
1 tablespoon olive oil
1 teaspoon Mike's Hot Honey (or 1 teaspoon regular honey with a pinch of red pepper flakes)
Salt and pepper to taste 

In a large bowl combine the lettuce, blood orange, pistachios, and cheese.  Add salt and pepper to the greens (flavor liberally!).  In a small bowl combine the dressing ingredients and whisk to combine.  Taste and adjust seasonings as necessary.  Pour the dressing over the greens and toss with your hands making sure all the lettuce gets coated.  Serve with grilled cheese.  

No comments:

Post a Comment