Monday, April 23, 2012

eleven madison park granola.

I like breakfast.  Not sweet maple syrup laden pancakes or bagels the size of a VW Bug overflowing with cream cheese, but simple parmesan scrambled eggs with a side of lightly buttered (salted butter!) jam and toast.  Oh and coffee!  Lots of coffee!  Coffee with frothy milk.  But alas, I work a corporate job that starts rather early and for some reason my cubicle does not include a hot plate for which I can cook those parmesan eggs.  

So until I can figure out a way to transport eggs to the office without them loosing their fluffy texture, I need to find an alternative breakfast food.  One that fulfills my need for nutritious, filling, savory, and sweet food and hopefully one that also feels a little indulgent.  I like to feel indulgent.  

It took a while for me to find something that allowed me to check off all of my requirements.  But last October in a NYTimes article about Eleven Madison Park's Cookbook, I came across a recipe for granola.  It was revolutionary in that in contained olive oil! maple syrup! pistachios! and salt!  This was not the granola I saw in bins at Whole Foods, but rather a salty sweet snack that would be the perfect topping for my morning yogurt.  Since I made it the first time, it's become the only granola I will make.  I've used different nuts and fruits depending on what I have on hand, but no matter how I mix and match in my batch, it always come out perfect.  The kind of breakfast that feels special and indulgent (kind of like a meal at Eleven Madison Park - yes it's that good and yes you should eat there especially at lunch when its quieter and you can bring a magazine and eat by yourself and savor your food and the luxurious surroundings) and out of the ordinary. 

Eleven Madison Park Granola
Recipe from NYTimes

2 3/4 cups rolled oats
1 cup shelled pistachios
1 cup unsweetened coconut chips
1/3 cup pumpkin seeds
1 tablespoon salt
1/2 cup light brown sugar
1/3 cup maple syrup
1/3 cup extra virgin olive oil
3/4 cup dried sour cherries

Preheat over to 300 degrees.  In a large bowl combine the oats, pistachios, coconut chips, pumpkin seeds and salt.  

In a small saucepan over low heat warm the sugar, maple syrup and olive oil until the sugar has just dissolved, then remove from heat.  Fold liquids into the oats, making sure to coat the dry ingredients well. 

Line a large rimmed baking sheet with a silicone baking map or parchment and spread granola over it.  Bake until dry and lightly golden, about 35 - 40 minutes, stirring granola a few times a long the way.

Remove granola from oven and stir in dry sour cherries.  Allow to cool to room temperature before storing. Makes about 6 cups.  

No comments:

Post a Comment