Wednesday, July 1, 2015

fried zucchini blossoms.








Last week when Tyler left me for composting school, my dinners were rather abysmal.  I just don't have the energy to cook epic meals for myself.  Cooking, at least for me, is about feeding others so when there is no one else around, it kind of looses its appeal (not to mention not having Tyler around means I loose my dishwasher). Instead of meals I consumed random bites of food - namely wedges of good cheese and piles of sauteed vegetables.  


But he is back (!) and all of the vegetables I stared at longingly last week were purchased with abandon this week.  Carrots! Cauliflower! Broccoli and Squash Blossoms i.e the ingredient I was most excited about.  I've discussed them before and how incredible they are stuffed with ricotta but this time I tried something slightly simpler and somehow they turned out even more incredible - burrata served as the base for the fried zucchini blossoms.  A sprinkling of chopped garlic scapes, torn basil, a generous drizzle of olive oil, and a bit of flaky sea salt and black pepper topped it.

It was perfection especially after a week of less than exciting meals.  To be on repeat until I can't find squash blossoms anymore.  

Fried Zucchini Blossoms 
Recipe from Bon Appetit 

Zucchini blossoms may turn people off (who wants to eat a flower?) but they are incredible and very popular in Italy.  They don't taste floraly.  Rather then taste like a mild zucchini.  If you see them, buy them.  

Vegetable oil (for frying)
1 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon kosher salt
12 ounce chilled Pilsner, lager style beer, or club soda
Zucchini blossoms (stamens removed; about 2 dozen)
Sea salt

In a large pot, heat about 1" oil over medium heat until a deep-fry thermometer reads 350°. Combine flour and salt in a medium bowl, then whisk in beer until almost smooth (some small lumps are welcome—don't overwhisk or you'll deflate the batter). One by one, dredge the blossoms in batter, shaking off the excess; gently lay them in the oil, without crowding the pan. Cook, flipping once with a slotted spoon, until golden brown, 2-3 minutes total. Transfer to paper towels to drain. Sprinkle with sea salt and devour while hot.

No comments:

Post a Comment