Saturday, December 8, 2012

salted dark chocolate espresso cookies.

I have a little sister.  Her name is Hayley.  She is the more organized and put-together version of myself (seriously I always feel like I am half dressed with wrinkled clothes when I am around her, actually I feel that way around a lot of people but especially her).  She is the only person who has kept me sane during this entire "Hurricane Redecoration Ordeal" (probably because she majors in interior design and is hands down the most organized person I know.)  Hayley can't eat dairy or soy or basically 90% of the food in this world (which is a tragedy if you ask me, I mean life without cheese just seems unlivable to me) so I feel really bad for her.  Do you know how many products contain soy?  Almost every product! (I would know as I've become somewhat of an expert in terms of reading labels in the supermarket.  When I do find something she can eat I then then jump up and down and scream excitedly   It's quite the scene.)  I always feel most bad for her around the holidays because as you can imagine almost all cookies contain butter and chocolate and cream and pretty much all the good things that she can't eat.  So I set out this year to find a holiday cookie recipe that should could eat and low and behold after a decent amount of searching I found it and it is amazing.  (Let's just say I tried some of the batter..)  The fat in this cookie is coconut oil and the oil imparts the most amazing flavor.  The final cookie tastes like the grown-up version of an Almond Joy (but a little more subtle and a lot less sweet).  I have to say this may be one of my most favorite cookies now as well.  

Salted Dark Chocolate Espresso Cookies
Recipe adapted from Desserts for Breakfast

Makes about 2 dozen cookies

285 grams (10 ounces) good quality 85% dark chocolate (I used Green and Black Organic which can be found at many supermarkets - the 85% doesn't contain soy but the lower levels like 70% do)
53 grams (1/4 cup) coconut oil
43 grams (1/3 cup) all-purpose flour
1/4 teaspoon baking powder
1/4 teaspoon salt
2 large eggs at room temperature
267 grams (1 1/3 cups) sugar
1 1/2 teaspoons instant espresso powder
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
Flaked sea salt for sprinkling 

Finely chop 170 grams (6 ounces) chocolate and place it in a heat proof bowl with the coconut oil.  Microwave for 20 second intervals, stirring in between each interval, and continue doing this until all of the chocolate is melted.  (This can also be done in a double boiler but I always find the microwave to be easier as long as you don't microwave it for 5 minutes without stirring and then burn all of your expensive chocolate!)  Set aside to cool to room temperature.  Cut the remaining 114 grams (4 ounces) into large chunks (about the size of big chocolate chips.  Set aside.

In a bowl, whisk to combine the flour, baking powder, and salt.  Set aside.  

In a mixer bowl with the paddle attachment, combine the eggs, sugar, espresso powder and vanilla extract .  Beat on medium high for about 5 minutes, until pale and fluffy and the batter drops off the beaters in a thick ribbon.  Fold in the flour mixture, followed by the cooled melted chocolate mixture.  Fold in the chocolate chunks.  Cover and chill until firm about 1 hour (or chill in the freezer for about 30 minutes.)  

Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.  On a lined or greased cookie sheet, drop 1 to 1 1/2 inch balls of dough, leaving about 2 inches between each ball.  Sprinkle the dough balls with salt flakes.  Bake the sheets one at a time for 8 - 10 minutes, rotating once half-way through baking.  The centers should still be soft when you remove the pans from the oven.  Let the cookies cool briefly before enjoying hot, or store in air-tight containers for about 2 days.  Serve with a shot of milk.  

1 comment:

  1. Thanks Cait! That made me smile! Cant wait to eat them up!!!!!

    ReplyDelete