Monday, May 14, 2012

houston style green salsa.



There are certain dishes that scream warm weather to me – any meat on the BBQ, potato salad, ice cream sandwiches, lobster rolls, tomato and mozzarella on fresh foccacia, and BLT’s!  There are plenty of other dishes, but those dishes can carry me through the dog days of August when cooking shouldn’t be much work.  I don’t like working when it’s hot, I can’t imagine why anyone would.  It is far more fun to sit outside, drink beers, and eat your farmer’s market bounty.

Recently I discovered a love for all things Tex-Mex.  The love affair began when I purchased the Homesick Texan cookbook.  It’s filled with the stick to your ribs food you desire in the wintertime but it is also filled with the refreshing food you crave during the summer.  I have practically every page of the book marked with sticky notes.  Reading all of these recipes has made me dream about Tex-Mex food, in particular tacos.  My taco thoughts have become so overwhelming that I have regaled them as my new favorite warm weather dish. 

Actually, it’s not tacos that are my new favorite dish but rather the Green Salsa that I have been slathering on all tacos that is my new favorite dish.  Its bright and spicy and it goes with just about everything.  I’ve made chicken tacos and steak tacos and I imagine it would amazing with roasted vegetables as well.  It’s going to be a long summer of hand held dinners which sounds about perfect to me. 


Houston Style Green Salsa

3/4 pound small tomatillos, husks removed or one 11 oz. can of whole tomatillos, drained
1 avocado peeled and pitted
1 or 2 serrano chiles, stems and seeds removed, roughly chopped 
4 cloves garlic chopped
1 tablespoon lime juice
1/4 cup cilantro
salt, to taste

If using fresh tomatillos, on high heat, bring a pot of water to boiling and cook tomatillos until soft, about 5 minutes.  

Add the tomatillos to blender along with the avocado, serrano chiles, garlic, lime juice, and cilantro.  Blend until smooth and then add salt to taste.  


No comments:

Post a Comment