Wednesday, December 31, 2014

2014 - a year in review.

It seems when something monumental happens (i.e. saying I do), you suddenly forget everything else that happened in the span of 365 days.   It's not to say the whole year is a blank, but the year condenses into this one event and the things that would normally stand out are suddenly just a blip on the radar.   This year, it feels exceptionally important to put together this re-cap.  As life-altering as getting married was, it wasn't the only thing (thought it was THE thing) - so here we go.  Consuming one too many homemade Oreos from Flour Bakery in Boston (and several of the their chicken, brie, roasted red pepper and caramelized onion sandwiches which will continue to reign sandwich champion in my mind).  Finally watching The Wire (RIP Omar)! An epic trip to Mexico (where I got an epic bout of food poisoning) that was spent climbing ancient Mayan ruins and watching one of my best get married.  Tackling homemade bagels and tortellini and finishing (just barely) a juice cleanse. A summer trip to Brimfield with the boy for antiques (and plans to make this a yearly trip). Consuming massive amounts of rhubarb (jam, pie, crumb bars) and reading the Third Plate by Dan Barber which forced me to re-think everything I thought I knew about food. Eating half a dozen potato doughnuts from the Holy Donut in Portland, Maine and a banana chocolate almond croissant from B. Patisserie in San Francisco. Spray painting just about everything I can get my hands on gold and devouring cherry brown butter bars which are the definition of life-changing.  The fried chicken sandwich from Palace Diner which I still dream about and meeting the world's most adorable puppy. A bridal shower complete with dinosaur pinatas and my best friends. Beyonce XO (which I will never be able to listen to again without thinking of my beautiful bridesmaids as they walked down the aisle) and Cat Power Sea of Love on repeat.  A Brooklyn day trip that involved the best burger and the search for the perfect wedding cake. A Memorial Day Weekend trip to Pok Pok with the only other couple as food obsessed as me. Perfecting the flour tortilla and learning the importance of fake lashes.  2 trips (!) to the apple orchard and finally making apple pie bars. A return trip to Tartine and basically consuming 2 loaves of their addicting bread.  Hiking Big Sur. Spending the hours before the wedding with the people who know me better than I know myself and reading  out loud the vows I spent 8 months writing Tyler.  Marrying him was the best thing I've ever done and 2014 will go down as one of the best years because of it.  

2015  - I hope you bring me the opportunity to travel more (Austin, New Orleans, Nashville are high on the list oh and ITALY).  To eat scrambled eggs at least once a week. To FINALLY make a homemade croissant.  To read more. To wear more color (or maybe just white/cream with out getting it dirty).  To learn to rely less on material things and more on experiences.  To be able to do 20 pushups (and maybe get a flatt-er stomach though my love of cookies may prevent this).  To fall in love all over again.  To fully embrace the last few months of my twenties and the first of my thirties.  

Let's do this thing.  

(I realize I've shown this picture before but I love it to much to not have it be the photo that represents our year in review.  We looked pretty super on our wedding day but this picture represents how we look those other 364 days.)

No comments:

Post a Comment