Tuesday, June 26, 2018

spicy lamb meatballs with raisin pesto.


Over the last couple of weeks we've started (once again) eating alfresco.  When you're four flights up facing a courtyard and surrounded by herbs and twinkly lights, you no longer feel as if you are in the city, it feels as if you are somewhere else.   Drinking cocktails, eating the latest farmers market offerings, and watching the sun set - it's magical. 

Dinners, as is typical of me this time of year, revolves around small plates of different things.  Fresh farmers market vegetable salads, really good cheeses, and occasionally local meat.   We recently got a phenomenal butcher in our hood and it's been fun trying their offerings (we are big fans of their cheesesteak sausages).   I love the fact that when you go in for ground meat, it has actually just been ground.  It's such a novel and old fashioned concept.   

I made these meatballs with the aforementioned freshly ground lamb and I have to say, these are just insanely good.  The meatballs are spicy and come together quickly but it's the raisin pesto that I want to eat by the spoonful.  Salty, sweet, herb-y, it pairs brilliantly with the lamb and yogurt.   This will be my Summer 2018 repeat dish.   

Spicy Lamb Meatballs with Raisin Pesto
Recipe adapted from Bon Appetit 

For the Meatballs

1 large egg
1/2 cup panko (Japanese breadcrumbs)
3/4 tsp. ground cumin
1/4 tsp. crushed red pepper flakes or aleppo pepper (if using aleppo increase to 1/2 tsp.)
1/4 tsp. ground turmeric
1/4 tsp. sumac (optional)
¼ cup finely chopped parsley
2 Tbsp. extra virgin olive oil
1 1/2 tsp salt
1 clove of garlic 
1 lb. ground lamb

For the Pesto

1/2 cup parsley leaves with tender stems
1/4 cup pistachios
1/4 - 1/2 cup extra-virgin olive oil
1 clove of garlic
1/2 cups mint leaves
1/2 cup cilantro
3 Tbsp. golden raisins
Juice of 1/2 a lemon
1 tsp. pomogranatte molasses
1/2 tsp. kosher salt, plus more to taste
Black to pepper to taste

Plain whole-milk Greek yogurt (for serving)

Place a rack in upper third of oven; preheat to 425°. Combine egg, panko, cumin, red pepper flakes, turmeric, sumac, finely chopped parsley,  oil, and 1½ tsp. salt in a large bowl. Finely grate 1 garlic clove into bowl. Add lamb and mix with your hands until evenly distributed.

Gently roll lamb mixture into 1½"-diameter balls (about the size of a golf ball; you should have about 20). Place on a rimmed baking sheet, spacing evenly apart. Bake meatballs until browned and cooked through, 8–10 minutes.

Meanwhile, puree parsley, pistachios, garlic, mint, cilantro, raisins, lemon juice, pomegranate molasses, salt and pepper, and a 1/4 cup olive oil in a blender until smooth. Taste pesto; season with more salt if needed - if too thick, add more olive oil.

Spread yogurt over plates and divide pesto and meatballs on top. Top with sesame seeds if desired.  

Do Ahead: Pesto can be made 2 days ahead; cover and chill. Meatballs can be formed 2 months ahead; freeze on baking sheet until firm, about 2 hours, then transfer to a freezer bag and keep frozen.

2 comments:

  1. yum! i have been wanting to make this!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really want to thank Dr Emu for saving my marriage. My wife really treated me badly and left home for almost 3 month this got me sick and confused. Then I told my friend about how my wife has changed towards me then she told me to contact Dr Emu that he will help me bring back my wife and change her back to a good woman. I never believed in all this but I gave it a try. Dr Emu casted a spell of return of love on her, and my wife came back home for forgiveness and today we are happy again. If you are going through any relationship stress or you want back your Ex or Divorce husband you can contact his whatsapp +2347012841542 or email emutemple@gmail.com 

    ReplyDelete